Monday, January 2, 2012

Smoking Efforts Day 2: Smoked Salmon

We had a couple types of Salmon in our freezer, time to smoke them was my thoughts. After night of defrosting, and with the final weekend of NFL football at Noon, it was time to smoke em' up.

The first type of salmon had a marinate already on it from Trader Joe's, it turned out ok. The flavor was not the best, but it was ok for smoking.

The second type of salmon had no seasoning on, so I added my own special mix of spices. This salmon was Wild Sockeye, it was a deeper Red fish, the flavor was excellent. I highly recommend smoking salmon this way, but I would offer a challenge to keep an eye on the fish more than I did. The Trader Joe salmon cooked fine at 2 hours, but the non marinated salmon turned a bit tougher. I am thinking 1 and half hours for these small fillets, and 2 to 2.5 hours for whole fish cuts.
Charcoal Firestarter Smoking
Soaked Wood Chips (Hickory)
My secret spice mix

Smoking da Salmon 
Finished Product 
The Trader Joe Salmon (raw)




No comments:

Post a Comment