Monday, February 22, 2010

NBC is lost on hockey

Yesterday afternoon, I turned on NBC and caught an Olympic Special on the 'Miracle on Ice'. With this being the 30th anniversary, a special hosted by Al Michaels was done pretty good. I anticipated that the upcoming USA Canada hockey game would be on shortly. Boy was I wrong, NBC in their great wisdom, decided to push the hockey game to MSNBC. If you are a reader of the blog, you would realize we do not have cable anymore. Watching MSNBC would be impossible.

So after watching several episodes of 'Lost' on Netflix, I turned it to NBC. They were broadcasting a bobsled team going down the track but it was interrupted by Bob Costas who said that the final minute of the hockey game is upcoming. The minute of hockey showed the USA hold onto a 5-3 win over team Canada. This was the first time USA has beaten Canada in olympic hockey, ever! But as with most americans, it wasn't even seen. NBC decided to have 15 minutes of post-game coverage dedicated to NBC after only showing a minute of the game. Seriously NBC? I know it is all about money, but come on! You have a sweet deal with the NHL to show their games for free basically and then the one game most hockey fans on both side of the border want to watch, you ignore us!

I was enjoying the Olympics a lot this year, but this has totally ruined my attitude towards it. I can understand not showing USA vs. Sweden or Finland but Canada? Seriously, Sidney Crosby's Canada? And your not showing the game?

So NBC can stick to their plans of Ice Dancing, Bobsledding, and misc. non-mission critical sports while they flush hockey down their proverbial toilet. I am pretty much done with it and won't surprising get to watch the USA play unless they reach a metal round on NBC. Outside of that, Olympics and NBC...get 'Lost'.


1 comment:

  1. I was very ticked too. They kept talking about it so I thought it was going to be on...then it never happened. I was totally bummed that I didn't get to see it especially since we won!

    ReplyDelete