Thursday, January 7, 2010

Craft-o-matic!

Ok, so I have been busy at work over the holiday breaks being a craft-o-matic up in my craft cove (take that man cave, ha!). I have made a slue of projects from the book "Little Stitches for Little Ones" by Amy Butler. Below are my handiwork's:

[1] Diaper Bag

Truth is, I started this project a long time ago, like think all the way back to September. I had it all going pretty smoothly and was about 80% done; but then I just stopped. Couldn't bare to continue. I think I was freaked out by the remaining steps. I was not believing that the instructions before me would unfold so nicely as they were explained. Finally after seeing the interior and exterior linings in my craft cove for way too long, I tackled the final steps. The final steps weren't so bad, although I don't think my machine can handle multiple thick fabrics (i.e. trying to sew together the lining and exteriors) causing the exterior stitching to be a little wonky ~ Oh well, it works for me!

Oh, and the hot pink interior I kinda regret now...too much pink for me. Next time, I will put more thought into my fabrics....










[2] Car seat Canopy

This project is the only one that is not from the Amy Butler book. I saw this project at my favorite local fabric store, Harper's Quilt and Fabric Store. They called it a car seat blanket. When I first saw this project, Harper's was selling the pattern with pre-cut fabric in 3 different fabric combo-selections of gorgeous Amy Butler fabrics and minke fabric. I decided to wait to come back to purchase this with possible Christmas monies. With Christmas gift cards in tow, I happily went to their store the day after Christmas, only to discover they sold out of them. But the beauty of this local store and me being the only customer, the lady allowed me to pick my own fabrics and trim and give me the pattern!! I was so giddy! I choose two new Amy Butler fabrics from her LOVE line and a soft like-butta black minke fabric.

Compared to the two bags that I have made, this was super simple with not too many steps. The only new learning experience for me was how to correctly to attach the rick-rack trim. I think I did it ok, however not sure if I did it the way your supposed to.

I modified this car seat blanket pattern to attach some ribbon ties on two places near the center of this blanket to make it a car seat canopy ~ so it can be tied to hang from the car seat handles to keep the child warm and covered from the elements if needed.

I am sure this also could be used for the stroller.

I am so giddy about this project. I loves the fabrics. I loves the minke. I loves the rick-rack!

Loves it!

[*] A special thanks to Parents-in-law: your gift card bought all of the fabrics for this project. Many thanks!











[3] Baby snuggie, or what I like to call the Baby Burrito Wrap



What do you get when you have some lime green modern print flannel and some cream chenille-terry cloth fabric? A fun excuse to make the baby burrito wrap with hoodie!!

Again, like project [2] this was super fast and easy to make! I like the combination of textures, which I think will be comforting yet fun for the baby to snuggle in. I must admit, I think it would be loverly to be wrapped up in this right now...

The only step I have to do is make two button holes in the center and a tie strap so that you can tie the burrito wrap in place (not to tight, of course).








[4] Project Soon to Start: Baby Crib Set and then some

I am about to embark in making a full baby crib set. Count them 4 items in the set and some extras:

-fitted sheet
-bumper pad with pockets, with different interior and exterior fabric patterns
-crib skirt
-quilt
-rocking chair pads (Bonus!)
-pillows (Bonus!)

I searched, searched and searched for fabrics that went with our color palette of lime, blue, aqua, and chocolate. And I found these three fabrics from the the same collection from Amy Butler ( I swear I wasn't limiting my search to just her collections...).

I know some people may say this is bold, but I love the modern patterns. I know the pictures doesn't do it justice, but the lime and the aqua in the three fabrics are exactly the same, and they look more vibrant in person.

I am so happy with want I found. And thank goodness for Etsy.com, people selling this fabric way cheaper that other fabric warehouses online. I am now addicted to that website.

I can't wait to get sewing...I think I will start this weekend! Wish me luck!





I wanted to also thank my Mom for the awesome rotarty cutter and board ~ seriously it saved me hours of cutting fabric already! Thank you sooooo much :0)

Also, Thanks again to my parents-in-law, the new sewing needles you gave me are 1000x better than what I was working with before: they are longer and stronger and since they have a color button piece on top, they are easily found if I drop them on the ground. All of us humans and dogs are happier now without having the fear of stepping on needles!

I cant wait to get going!
H

No comments:

Post a Comment