Thursday, January 21, 2010

Movie Review: Max Payne

Let me first state these facts.

1. Max Payne is a video game.
2. Max Payne 2:Fall of Max Payne was the video game sequel
3. I have played and beat both games.
4. The soundtrack to the video games were at the time second to none.
5. This movie stinks.

Now to the movie....Mark Wahlberg looks like Max Payne, but he never fully won me over in the role of Max Payne. Wahlberg seems not able to change his tone of acting, he seems always stuck in the same gear when you look at most of his movies. Even SNL made fun of how he acts in movies. Who would been a better fit? I dunno, but not him.

Max Payne the video game was based on a comicbook Noir mood. Noir, is a type of movie that hollywood has done in the past 70 years, such movies recently like Sin City, Mulholland Drive, and Pulp Fiction are examples. This movie was never even close to expectations I had for these games. The movie was so terrible, I actually turned it off and did not finish it after watching 70 minutes of it. So to tell you the ending was crap, would be a lie, I didn't even finish it. This movie had terrible reviews when it opened, which automatically placed it on my DVD watch list And the great soundtrack from the video game was never adapted for the movie! Seriously?!?

Oh and finally, Rapper Ludacris had a role as a Police Detective. I have a hard time following a movie to find a celebrity/star from a different genre who is seriously acting. Most cases the out of place celebrity takes away any seriousness the movie had going at that point. I thought Ludacris was going to start dropping some lyrics and lines during the movie. Maybe he did toward the end of the movie, but I couldn't finish it.

Congrats to Max Payne, you knocked out Catwoman out of my top 5!

My Grade: I-incomplete!~0/10.0

My top 5 Awful Movies...

5. 8MM
4. Zardoz
3. Max Payne
2. The Spirit
1. The Whole Ten Yards

No comments:

Post a Comment